Bill Kehoe, CIO for King County, is taking a new approach to IT and building a progressive government to benefit citizens
The Lineup: Microsoft, Cisco, and Intel
It’s no secret that tested and tried solutions will lead to a faster time to production, allowing you to stay at the forefront of innovation and, most importantly, stand out from the competition.
The latest in our series of deep-dive examinations, our Microsoft-focused edition of Unleashing IT shows you how three industry leaders are creating integrated solutions to achieve better business outcomes. Read More »
Tags: Cisco UCS, Cloud Computing, data center, Microsoft, private cloud, Unleashing IT
I’d like to give you an inside look at our Allen Data Center and go over how Cisco IT is adopting new technologies and capabilities while at the same time running the business. I’ll answer your top of mind questions and cover topics such as: Read More »
Tags: ACI, allen data center, application centric infrastructure, Cisco IT, Cisco Nexus 9000, cisco on cisco, Cisco UCS, coc-data-center, data center, Fast IT, internet of things, UCS
We are proud to announce the new Cisco UCS Power Calculator and Estimation Tool. It features an all new User Interface (UI) and is currently live at http://ucspowercalc.cisco.com
The tool contains many new features, including the ability to create templates and projects where configuration data is stored. Templates and projects improve agility as well as enable collaboration among users through exporting and importing user-specific configuration data.
Additionally, the new power calculator offers a powerful RESTful API, which allows third party applications to connect and generate power estimations by simply passing through actual configuration data. This architecture provides a single source for all power estimates.
Common to the Cisco UCS management tool portfolio, the API-driven architecture for the new power calculator enables integration opportunities with a number of Cisco tools. One example is tighter integration with Cisco Commerce Workspace (CCW) power calculator widget – for real-time estimation of solution power while building out configurations. Third-party, non-Cisco tools (e.g. DCIM) can also now connect directly to the power calculator and assist users with data center infrastructure planning. For questions on how to integrate your application with the new power calculator and estimation tool’s REST API, please contact Roy Zeighami or Jeffrey Metcalf at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Previous versions of the Cisco UCS Power Calculator will be retired with redirects to the new Cisco UCS Power Calculator.
Cheers and Thanks! to Intel for the collaboration!
UCS Power Calculator: http://ucspowercalc.cisco.com
UCS Communities: http://communities.cisco.com/ucs
UCS Platform Emulator: http://communities.cisco.com/ucspe
UCS Developed Integrations: http://communities.cisco.com/ucsintegrations
Tags: Cisco UCS, Cisco UCSM, efficiency, power, power calculator, UCS Central
To celebrate 30 years of innovation at Cisco (#We are Cisco), we’ve asked Cisco Champions what they think is the most important Cisco innovation to date. Cisco Champions are seasoned IT technical experts and influencers who enjoy sharing their knowledge, expertise, and thoughts across the social web and with Cisco. The Cisco Champions program encompasses different areas of interest, such as Data Center, Internet of Things, Enterprise Networks, Collaboration and Security. Cisco Champions are located all over the world.
(Cisco Champions are not representatives of Cisco. Their views are their own)
Here are their top answers.
Cisco Nexus Series
The most important innovation for me is the Data Center Networking Solution with Nexus Portfolio N2K, N5K, N7K, and N9K, that allows us to address all challenges for our customers. I really appreciate the new campus solution based on C6800 with IA switches which uses the same technology as FEX. It really simplifies architecture and reduces OPEX with a single point of management.
Network Consulting Engineer
@BBordereau Read More »
Tags: #ciscochampion, Cisco Certification, Cisco UCS, nexus
Cisco Unified Computing System™ is unique among vendors with its comprehensive set of solutions for SAP and SAP HANA workloads—solutions that include servers with two to eight processors. Cisco Cisco UCS® C220 M4 Rack Server delivered 16,025 users and a SAPS score of 87,680: the best two-processor, two-tier result running Microsoft Windows 2012 Datacenter Edition.
Some of the key highlights of this result are:
- Best Two-Socket Server SAP SD Benchmark Result: The Cisco UCS C240 M4 running Microsoft Windows Server 2012 delivered the best two-tier SAP SD Benchmark result with SAP Enhancement Package 5 for SAP ERP 6.0 and Microsoft SQL Server 2012. The solution supported 16,025 SAP SD Benchmark users while maintaining a consistent application response time of less than one second
- Scale to meet demand: Cisco UCS C240 M4 Rack Server configured with the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v3 family can support up to 16,025 concurrent SAP SD Benchmark users in a Microsoft Windows Server 2012 and Microsoft SQL Server 2012 environment.
- Optimize application throughput: High-performance rack servers, blade servers, and network fabrics enable Cisco UCS to handle many SAP application tasks, with results showing that the system can process 1,753,670 order line items per hour or 5,261,000 dialog steps per hour.
- Cisco Consistently Improves Two-Processor, Two- Tier SAP SD Benchmark Performance: As illustrated in the graph below, these results show almost a 60 percent improvement over performance delivered by the last generation of Intel Xeon processor E5 product family CPUs.
The SAP SD Benchmark is designed to stress the computing infrastructure and determine whether a consistent response can be delivered as more users consume system resources. Cisco tested a Cisco UCS C240 M4 server equipped with two 2.30-GHz, 18-core Intel Xeon processor E5-2699 v3 CPUs, 256 GB of main memory, and a Cisco UCS Virtual Interface Card (VIC) 1225. The server ran both the SAP software and the 64-bit Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Enterprise Edition in a bare-metal configuration. Check out the Performance Brief and the detailed official benchmark disclosure report for additional information on the benchmark configuration.
Let’s see, what does this latest result mean for our customers?
- This result proves that Cisco UCS servers make an excellent foundation for any standards-based infrastructure solution.
- Cisco UCS dramatically reduces the number of physical components needed to support demanding SAP landscape applications, enabling IT departments to make effective use of limited space, power, and cooling resources.
- By deploying SAP on Cisco UCS, IT departments can support more users and accelerate response times. Many users can be supported—up to 16,025 in the benchmark configuration—with little hardware
- IT departments can choose from a broad range of Cisco UCS blade and rack server models to scale deployments further by using larger servers or by adding servers to create scale-out deployments with small footprints.
It is interesting to note that although all vendors have access to same Intel processors, only Cisco UCS unleashes their power to deliver high performance to applications through the power of unification. The unique, fabric-centric architecture of Cisco UCS integrates the Intel Xeon processors into a system with a better balance of resources that brings processor power to life. For additional information on Cisco UCS and Cisco UCS Integrated Infrastructure solutions please visit Cisco Unified Computing & Servers web page.
The statement of comparison is based on highest-performing system using two Intel Xeon processors and running SAP Enhancement Package 5 for SAP ERP 6.0 on Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Datacenter Edition in a two-tier configuration. Results referenced are available from the SAP website at: http://global.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx and are current as of December 1, 2014.
Tags: application performance, Application Scalability, Application throughput Optimization, Cisco UCS, Cisco UCS Performance, Cisco UCS Performance Leadership, SAP SD Benchmark, SAP. HANA