Read some of the press covering digital media today, and you’d think that TV advertising is going the way of the dinosaurs. After all, web and mobile advertising lets you slice and dice your ads to target narrow audiences in a way that hasn’t been possible with TV, where historically, targeting meant finding programs that appeal to a broad demographic.
Here’s a thought: what if you could combine the fine-grained addressability of digital advertising with the reach and impact of linear TV? It’s not just hypothetical anymore. Europe’s largest pay-TV provider, Sky, is working with Cisco to make it happen with Sky AdSmart. At CES 2015 this week Read More »
Tags: advertising, broadcast video, Cisco Videoscape, cloud, linear TV, multiscreen, operator, Service Provider, Sky, tv
Next week is the National Association of Broadcasters convention in Las Vegas, I thought it timely to look into some of the ways in which technology is intersecting with the business of video broadcasting.
Going on location to capture a news event, as one example, used to be about getting a truck there in time, setting up a remote studio, and everything that goes along with that: Travel time, travel costs, and the setup logistics that almost always add latency to the process. Every minute spent getting on-air is a minute not spent airing a live event, as any broadcast news editor will attest.
But as the world of IP intersects more deeply with the world of video, it’s becoming much easier, faster and cost-effective to capture and transmit live news. Here’s a few examples, all based around the Cisco TelePresence EX Series:
- CNN’s coverage of the 2010 mid-term elections used EX90s to bring in on-air commentators James Carville (broadcasting from his home in New Orleans) and David Gergon (via his Harvard University office). In essence, the technology enabled CNN to quickly and easily take the studio to the talent, not the other way around. CNN got quick, on-air expertise; Carville and Gergon got to save time and travel expenses by working locally.
- MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow Show regularly uses the EX-90 to capture live 1:1 interviews, extending the studio virtually as if the guest was physically present.
- The National Basketball Association (NBA) put up a circular kiosk, outfitted with a TelePresence screen, during a fan appreciation event in Phoenix. Fans were able to talk live with their favorite players, in a “you are there” setting.
Read More »
Tags: broadcast video, EX90, ip video, nab, national association of broadcasters, Service Provider, TelePresence, videoscape
Broadcast industry professionals are going into this year’s NAB show amid a number of challenges to content lifecycles, monetization and copyrights. To think! The “digital transition” was less than two years ago, but already it’s a distant memory, eclipsed by the rise of national broadband networks – which, in turn, turned up the heat on over-the-top video and today’s TV Everywhere trends on tablets, smartphones and PCs. Who gets to define the “where” in TV Everywhere, anyway? Speaking of serving video to multiple screens – is it time to better integrate the digital life cycle of content?
Let’s discuss some of these questions with our Videos Solutions Marketing Managers in Cisco’s NAB TweetChat. Please feel free to send any questions or topics of interest to @CiscoSPVideo.
- Pre-NAB Session: Friday, April 8, 9-9:30 am PDT (12-12:30 pm EDT)
- Post-NAB Session: Friday, April 22, 9-9:30 am PDT (12-12:30 pm EDT)
On the day of the event, login to http://tweetchat.com/ and follow the #ciscospchat hashtag. To join the chat, visit http://tweetchat.com/room/ciscospchat
Alternatively, you can use your favorite Twitter client (such as TweetGrid, TweetDeck) or TwitterSearch to follow the chat hashtag #ciscospchat. During the event, you can follow the discussion, contribute questions, and submit your own comments by using the same hashtag.
The session will be hosted by @CiscoSPVideo managed by the Cisco Service Provider Marketing team.
- Sachin Sathaye, Service Provider Marketing Manager, Video Solutions, @sachinsathaye
- Marcia Bana Tonetto, Service Provider Marketing Manager, Video Solutions, @marciabana
- Ran Chen, Service Provider Marketing Manager, Video Solutions, @ran2877
Questions / Comments?
Please email us at email@example.com. Feel free to send us questions or topics you’d like to hear addressed!
Read More »
Tags: broadcast video, ciscospchat, ip video, nab, Service Provider, tweetchat