So the other day my wife told me the water in the shower didn’t seem as hot as it normally does. “Maybe something wrong with the water heater?” she said. I did all the normal checks: no water on the basement floor, pilot is lit, check, check. All seems ok.
We happened to go to Home Depot to buy some other stuff, but we ran into the water heater guy. His diagnosis: water heater going bad. (Full admission, it is 11 years old)
I kind of buy his story, it makes sense. Here is an appliance that is 11 years old that I never maintained. Expected life is 10 years, so I am already plus one, right? And maybe a new one would be more efficient, right?
But isn’t that the sort of internal argument manufacturers go through every day? Sunk cost (what they already paid for) vs. Maintenance vs. Replacement? How efficient are the machines you bought 10 or 15 years ago? How do you know? How much does it cost you for a shutdown for two to three days while you secure a replacement machine and install it? Wouldn’t that information be valuable to you if it was visible? How do you know?
Energy management/awareness is certainly a big part of this sustainability issue. Check out this video from Chet:
Read More »
Tags: automation, Borderless Networks, Cisco Partners, ciscolive, Converged Plantwide Ethernet, CPwE, data center, HMI, Home Depot, Industrial Intelligence, Manufacturing, SCADA, Sustainability, Virtual Data Center, Water
Contributed by David Flesh, Sr Manager, Product Marketing, Cisco Network Management Technology Group
I’m excited to be attending TeleManagement Forum Management World Conference this week in Dublin, Ireland. Come meet me and Executives from the Cisco Network Management Technology Group, Cloud & Managed Services, and Advanced Services teams. We will be available to meet with customers to discuss the Cisco service provider offerings, service provider architectures, management solutions and Cloud offerings at Liffey Suites 3 & 4.
Cisco has recently made several announcements relevant to service providers and the management of their networks. Announcements include The Cisco Carrier Packet Transport System, the industry’s first standards-based transport solution to help service providers better deliver video, mobility and cloud computing services, and Cisco Prime for Next Generation Packet and Transport Networks. The Cisco Prime™ portfolio of enterprise and service provider management offerings supports integrated lifecycle management of Cisco architectures and technologies based on a business-centric framework. Built on an intuitive workflow-oriented user experience, Cisco Prime products dramatically increase IT productivity, network scalability, and control of the network infrastructure and endpoints.
Visit our Demo Suite at Campshire 3 to experience our integrated management suite, Cisco Prime.
Also, Come see Cisco Cloud and management offerings in action at our Catalyst at Forumville, top deck Booth 2.
This year’s Catalyst will focus on Enhanced Cloud Service Management. This builds on our previous Inter-Cloud Service Management catalyst and shows how Service Providers can differentiate themselves with “Cloud Services” that leverage some of their most important assets and the TM Forum Frameworx. BT is project champion for the Catalyst and partners Comptel, Progress Software, MetraTech, Amartus, and InfoVista are joining Cisco in the development and delivery of the demo.
Read More »
Tags: Borderless Networks, carrier packet transport, cloud services, cpt, monetization, move, optimization, prime, Service Provider, TeleManagement World, TMForum
Let me tell you about a great opportunity if you’re an executive or professional in the Manufacturing or Industrial sector. Cisco is hosting a special ‘Industrial Intelligence Day’ on the 12th July 2011 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas held in conjunction with Cisco Live.
The event is especially tailored to bring together manufacturing, controls, operations and IT executives and professionals. The theme of the day is ‘Industrial Intelligence’, and will cover the subject of converging industrial automation systems based upon standard IP networks with business applications including voice and video to more responsively and cost-effectively manage industrial operations globally.
The day is packed with information, training, and industry best practices and is sure to be one of the smartest investments you can make in your career—and one of the smartest investments your employer can make in you.
By attending Cisco Industrial Intelligence at Cisco Live, you can:
- Learn how Industrial Intelligence brings production closer to IT and converges industrial automation networks with business systems to improve the efficiency, safety, agility, and utilization of your production assets.
- Receive training in architectures specific to industrial automation from Cisco and alliance partner Rockwell Automation including wireless and wired technology advancements, availability, security, sustainability and energy management.
- Engage Industrial Intelligence and IT Networking thought leaders from our partners and the industrial analyst community via a live panel discussion plus join a community of manufacturing executives and IT and Control professionals deploying and operating Industrial applications and networks.
- Experience and see “hands-on” demonstrations of Industrial Intelligence solutions and technology and interact with experts at the World of Solutions Expo at the largest Cisco user conference, Cisco Live.
Register by June 12th to receive the $100 off Early Bird offer. Click here to register.
Read More »
Tags: aeroscout, automation, Borderless Networks, Cisco, cisco live, ciscolive, collaboration, Common Industrial Protocol, Energy Management, industrial, Industrial Automation, Industrial Intelligence, industrial networking, industrial wireless, innovation, librestream, Manufacturing, mobility, Panduit, partner, Rockwell, security, video, virtualization, wireless
I’m excited to be attending Interop Las Vegas this week. This year marks the 25th Anniversary of Interop and we are celebrating by hosting our major launch event in Las Vegas. Rebecca Jacoby and Brett Galloway will be unveiling new Borderless Networks innovations during the Cisco keynote on Tuesday, May 10 at 9:30am Pacific Time. During this keynote, you will learn about breakthrough innovations in Borderless Networks that will help you deliver centralized policy, unified wired and wireless management, and a better quality video and voice experience to your workforce and customers.
If you can’t attend Interop in person, we will be broadcasting this event online on May 10 at 9:30am Pacific Time. Please register here to view the live keynote. You will also receive access to a special series of TechWiseTV episodes that will air on May 12.
Now, I’d like to share some of the other unique activities that I think you will enjoy.
Hear from Cisco experts at the following Interop Las Vegas activities:
- Conference sessions: Our marketing and technical experts will speak in panel sessions ranging on topics such as breakthrough LAN technologies, WLAN, video and virtualization. Please check the latest schedule at this website.
- Cisco Educational Sessions: We are sponsoring three sessions on IPv6, video and preparing your network for mobile devices and other tablets. These sessions are open to everyone, and attendees will receive a free Cisco Press Book.
- InteropNet: Cisco is sponsoring InteropNet and will further demonstrate IPv6 leadership across the entire network. Customers will be able to take daily, engineer-led tours of InteropNet.
- Customer Appreciation Reception: Join us for an opportunity to relax and socialize with Cisco executives and your industry peers, while enjoying drinks, food, and fun on Wednesday, May 11 from 5 to 7pm at the Border Grill, Mandalay Bay. Customers – please register here.
Participate in a number of fun Booth Activities and win a prize!
- Cisco 3D Borderless Challenge – Test your networking IQ for your chance to be one of eight who will to win a Linksys® E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router. The Cisco 3D Borderless Challenge is a competition that tests your knowledge of Cisco Borderless Networks innovations, especially in video and security solutions. The Cisco 3D Borderless Challenge features IT “superhero” Ike Willis and will take place at the theater in the Cisco booth 1127 on May 10 and May 11.
- Cisco Interop Las Vegas Mobile Game - Attendees can check into various Borderless Networks activities using their smartphones, such as conference sessions and booth demonstrations, to win points. Read the rules and guidelines here.
- Borderless Networks Demonstrations – We will showcase the latest innovations in eleven BN pods including: Borderless Mobility, EnergyWise, IPv6, Medianet, Security, WAN optimization for cloud based solutions, Cisco Prime and Borderless Branch Office. For more information about the demos, please see detailed descriptions on the following website.
Hope to see you at the show!
Tags: Borderless Networks, Interop Las Vegas, medianet
The resiliency and determination of America’s sense of justice was thrust into a spirit of rejoicing on Sunday evening May 1, 2011, when President Barack Obama addressed the world, confirming Osama bin Laden’s demise in Pakistan. While watching the breaking TV news coverage, I began to share that sense of accomplishment and joy, less for the act of neutralizing the thought leader and chief architect of 9/11 and other atrocities against Americans, and more for the fortitude and resolve demonstrated by the U.S. commander-in-chief, our military forces, and intelligence agencies. I found myself thinking of what this type of public resolve implies for the future state of our Manufacturing economy in the U.S., whose resurgence is essential to the country’s defenses, global leadership, and the health and prosperity of our citizens, along with those of other democratic nations.
Cisco’s Chet Namboodri, Global Director for Manufacturing Industry Solutions and Marketing, discusses the Smart Manufacturing Leadership Coalition (SMLC) proposals for Revitalizing American Manufacturing.
President Obama’s determination coming into office in January 2009 to recommit U.S. resources to bring justice to bin Laden, and the U.S. intelligence and military’s subsequent success bodes well as I consider his commitment to U.S. manufacturing competitiveness, infrastructure build-out and job creation articulated during the President’s January 2011 State of the Union address. During the last several quarters, I have had the privilege to present on behalf of Cisco to the Office of the President as part of the Smart Manufacturing Leadership Coalition (SMLC), a broad cross section of manufacturers, technology suppliers, manufacturing consortia, government laboratories and research universities across industry segments pulling together to recommend programs to revitalize U.S. manufacturing.
Read More »
Tags: automation, Borderless Networks, CIP, Cisco, collaboration, Common Industrial Protocol, Energy, energy efficiency, Energy Management, industrial, Industrial Automation, Industrial Intelligence, industrial networking, industrial wireless, innovation, mobility, partner, security, video, virtualization, wireless