Soon, we’re going to be making some updates to the product category pages on Cisco.com. That’s pages like the ones for Switches, Routers, Voice and Unified Communication, Security and about a dozen others. We think those pages work pretty well today, but based on your feedback and also our observations of how hundreds of thousands of visitors who use these pages, we’re making some additional improvements.
1. Faster performance load time. We’re changing out the “HTML tabs” method (which loads an entire page of tabs at once) with an approach where tabs are on individual pages. This will make the page load faster and have some other benefits, such as better behavior when you “go back” in some browsers and otherwise interact with the tabs. Here’s a pic:
2. Clearer linking to the “All products” listing. There are going to be a couple of links that make it exceedingly easy to jump to the full list of products in any category, if you want to. One example:
3. Consistent treatment for Contact Us and related information.
4. Consistent navigation to related Communities, Support, How to Buy functions
5. Contextual linking to support-related functions like troubleshooting, configuration and downloads. There will be links to support that take you right into the correct category, if you’re browsing that way.
6. Clearer linkages to reference designs and other important functions.
7. Elevated technology and business benefits areas – so you don’t have to go hunting for them.
8. More ROI information, and in more obvious places. Example:
9. Better information about services and solutions related to product areas. Example:
10. Consistent routes to segments/size-specific views of products where it applies (e.g. small business):
11. Removing the left nav at this top level, which confused new customers (you can more easily move using the flydown megamenus at the top)
12. Improved writing – We rewrote some things that… well to be honest, were confusing.
Of course, we preserved all that has worked well with the existing pages, and we’re also continuing to tune things based on your suggestions about content and functionality.
We hope you like the new pages when they go live later this week.