As I think most readers of this blog already know, when I say “MPI”, I mean “Message Passing Interface.”
I saw an confusing-and-amusing blog entry today over at insideHPC (and HPCwire): GigaSpaces and MPI Europe partner on financial messaging overseas.
“MPI Europe?”, I thought. “What’s that? Is that some MPI-based ISV that I’ve never heard of?”
It turns out that “MPI Europe” is actually “Management, Planning & Implementation Europe” (I mailed them and asked ). Googling turns up other amusing MPI’s out there:
- Meeting Professional International (I actually saw this one on a backpack in the Houston airport once)
- Migration Policy Institute
- Master Painters Institute
- Max Planck Institute
- Medical Professional Institute
- Mineral Physics Institute
- Metal Processing Institute
…and these don’t even include what turn up in Wikipedia or Ebay!