The Internet Of Everything: Disruptive Innovation Worth Trillions
At Cisco, we want to work with our partners to help them get the most value from the Internet of Everything (IoE). If you missed the announcement in December and need a refresher, IoE brings together people, process, data, and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before—turning information into actions that create new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented economic opportunity for businesses, individuals, and countries.
As a follow-up, today we’re sharing a white paper called, “Embracing the Internet of Everything To Capture Your Share of $14.4 Trillion.” It’s an analysis that indicates that as a result of the emergence of the IoE, there will be as much as $14.4 trillion of potential economic “value at stake” for global private -sector businesses over the next decade.
From this analysis, we also discovered that there are five main factors that fuel IoE Value at Stake: 1) asset utilization (reduced costs) of $2.5 trillion; 2) employee productivity (greater labor efficiencies) of $2.5 trillion; 3) supply chain and logistics (eliminating waste) of $2.7 trillion; 4) customer experience (addition of more customers) of $3.7 trillion; and 5) innovation (reducing time to market) of $3.0 trillion.
What can partners do now to learn more about this tremendous opportunity?
Head over to the Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG) IoE landing page to access key insights, the Value at Stake in the IoE Economy slidecast, an IoE FAQ, and a full-length white paper. In the white paper, you’ll learn more about Cisco’s analysis and how it shows that most of the potential Value at Stake (66 percent, or $9.5 trillion) comes from transformation based on industry-specific use cases such as smart grid and smart buildings. The other 34 percent, or $4.9 trillion, is produced by cross-industry use cases such as the future of work (telecommuting) and travel avoidance.
- Determine where your business is today with regard to IoE. With the huge number of connections that need to be made among people, data, and things, companies must assess their strengths and weaknesses in the areas of technology skills, business process management, data analytics, connectedness, and security.
- Understand the role of IT in enabling your company to benefit from IoE. Using IT to reduce costs has diminishing returns; investing in IT to strengthen and grow the customer base has greater upside potential.
- Take steps now to maximize your capabilities in the areas of security and privacy. As mentioned previously, security and privacy are essential enablers — and potential inhibitors — of IoE’s Value at Stake. IoE security will be addressed through network-powered technology: devices connecting to the network will take advantage of the inherent security that the network provides (rather than trying to ensure security at the device level). Privacy, on the other hand, will require that companies combine technology with effective processes and policies. To benefit from IoE, firms will need to identify new privacy models that meet company and customer expectations.
- Most important, firms will need to consider their own internal cultural changes that are necessary to embrace IoE. The value of any IT investment will be determined by the capabilities it enables outside the IT department. The IoE Value at Stake emanates from the marketing, HR, finance, production, sales, and other corporate departments. Therefore, a company’s IT decisions must consider the requirements of these departments. Corporate policies on employment, input-sourcing, and in customer-facing areas may need adjustment to embrace these IoE-driven best practices.
Because the stakes are high — over 10 years, companies stand to lose more than a year of profits if they do not embrace IoE. We want to work closely with our partners to seize this extraordinary opportunity. Act now and read John Chambers’ blog post to get his thoughts on The Possibilities of the Internet of Everything Economy. And be sure to visit the Partner Campaign Hub to access all of the great resources Cisco has for partners.
We encourage every partner to begin transforming their organizations based on key findings from use cases that make up the majority of IoE’s Value at Stake. Check out this presentation to learn more.