Every Friday, we’ll highlight the most important Cisco partner news and stories of the week, as well as point you to important Cisco-related content you may have missed along the way. Let’s have it.
Off The Top
It’s been a very busy week in the land of Cisco, what with our Q3 earnings report, a number of key technology and service launches, and the final countdown to Cisco Partner Summit 2013 now at the 10-days-to-go mark.
In case you missed it, Bruce Klein, Cisco senior vice president, Worldwide Partner Organization (WWPO) and Edison Peres, Cisco senior vice president, worldwide channels, offered a sneak peak of what’s to come at Cisco Partner Summit as well as some of what they’ve heard from many months of partner meetings around the world.
As Bruce writes, “Every partner is unique, and that’s part of what makes the Cisco partner community so highly regarded in the industry. The two most consistent care-abouts I hear from you are: ‘What is my business model going to look like in the future?’ and ‘What do we need to do to stay profitable as the IT industry continues to change?’ These are hugely important questions that we at Cisco are focused on every day, and rest assured we’re going to tackle these topics head-on throughout Partner Summit.”
Get Creative, Partners
As you saw here on the Channels blog a few days ago, we’re very pleased to announce our official Cisco Partner Summit 2013 contests, both of which will test your creativity — and your Twitter chops.
One contest uses the mobile application Vine and asks you to capture your Partner Summit impressions in six seconds or less. The other asks you to Tweet favorite quotes from throughout the event – what did you hear on the Partner Summit main stage or in breakout sessions that particularly resonated? Super cool prizes await the winners of each, so make sure you get in the game.
What Will The Channel Look Like?
Earlier this week, Cisco Channels hosted a TweetChat on business transformation and partner evolution – both hugely important topics heading into Partner Summit, and also topics near and dear to both Edison Peres and Wendy Bahr, Cisco senior vice president, Americas partner organization.
We’d like to thank Edison and Wendy, as well as Larry Walsh, president and CEO of The 2112 Group, Zeus Kerravala, founder and principal analyst of ZK Research, and representatives from Presidio, Comstor and KBZ Communications for their great participation.
A transcript of the TweetChat is now available from our online Cisco partner communities. We look forward to seeing you at the next one!
Virtual Partner Summit Almost Here
A reminder that if you haven’t yet registered for Cisco Virtual Partner Summit, now’s the time to do so. Virtual Partner Summit has a great program in store and has significantly expanded from previous years in everything from the scope of content and access to Cisco executives to sessions specific to region and local language. Take our tour of Virtual Partner Summit to learn more.
Education Can Mean Big Workforce Benefits
In the latest installment of our ongoing Cisco Partner Talent blog series, Kaycee Tan discusses why educating your workforce is so important to productivity, profitability and maintaining your competitive edge. But sending employees to training isn’t enough – you need to strategize and also realize that for some employees, no amount of training or change management will improve their performance.
“Here’s a scary stat: people involved in training typically forget most of what they’ve learned within 60 to 90 days,” Kaycee writes. “Don’t offer training for its own sake.”
You can learn more about Cisco partner talent initiatives during Virtual Partner Summit. Check out this year’s “Attract, Develop and Retain the Right Team with Cisco Partner Talent” session on June 6, 2013 from 8:45am-9:45am (ET).
Highlights from around Cisco this week:
- Marc Latouche looks at who’s profiting from the mobile data explosion
- Peter Granger discusses customer demand for automation in cars
- Laura Earle: “Apparently, women will hug anything.”
- Marie Hattar advises on how to build a happier and more efficient team
- Kurt Spingman highlights Cisco’s presence at this week’s Citrix Synergy conference
- Dave Evans examines 40 years (!) of Ethernet
- Jason Kohn reveals how Caribbean entrepreneurs get down to business
- David Yates spotlights the future of network connectivity and TV and Cisco’s efforts with Comcast and OpenStack
Keep An Eye Out
- Remember to include hashtag #ciscops13 on all Cisco Partner Summit-related content – that’s how you can join the conversation!
- Throughout Cisco Partner Summit in Boston, make sure you visit the Collaboration Lounge, located in Hall A at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. Come say hello to our video team and we’ll put you on camera!
- Cisco and Goldman Sachs will host a webcast next week discussing Cisco’s vision, strategy and perspective on cloud computing. Lew Tucker, our vice president and CTO, cloud computing, will present. The event kicks off on Friday, May 31, at 8 am PT /11 am ET. More details are here.
- Archived content from last month’s Cisco Marketing Velocity event in Cannes is now available
- As always, swing by the Cisco Partner Event calendar for the latest information on Cisco partner gatherings.