Every Friday, we’ll highlight the most important Cisco partner news and stories of the week, as well as point you to important Cisco-related content you may have missed along the way. Let’s have it.
Off The Top
Sherri Liebo has been named Vice President, Global Partner Marketing, overseeing Cisco’s Strategic Partner Marketing, Channel Programs, Services Partner Marketing and Strategic Partner Communications teams. Bruce Klein, senior vice president, Worldwide Partner Organization, talked about Sherri’s appointment here on the Channels blog and why this is such an important role at Cisco. Channelnomics, CRN and Channel Partners were among the first press to cover it on Friday.
As you may have seen, Cisco redesigned the CCNA Routing and Switching certification with new training and curricula. It’s part of an overall effort to better align Cisco’s certifications to the demands of an IT industry undergoing paradigm shifts like the Internet of Everything phenomenon we’ve been talking about for a while now. It’s also a way to better train engineers for the types of dedicated, segment-specific jobs that are going to be in high demand over the next few years.
As Ramesh Bijor, product marketing manager, told CRN’s Kristin Bent, “An overwhelming percentage of enterprises – around 80 percent – are looking for dedicated roles in security, and about 70 percent are looking for voice, video and wireless. So Cisco has been working over the last few years and looking at what we can do to train the next group of engineers to fill the talent gap in these areas.”
Cisco this week announced plans to acquire SolveDirect, a Vienna, Austria-based specialist in cloud solutions for IT services management integration. Cisco Vice President, Corporate Business Development Hilton Romanski talked up the deal on The Platform as another example of Cisco’s build, buy and partner approach to innovation.
All About Smart Solutions
Here on the blog we featured two must-read takes on Cisco’s ongoing Smart Solutions initiative. Bridget Bisnette, Cisco senior director, midmarket Smart Solutions, talked about why Smart Solutions are such a game-changer for partners, while Chris Gabriel, vice president of solutions management for top Cisco partner Logicalis Group, guest-blogged on how Smart Solutions are helping Logicalis stay ahead of customer care-abouts.
Highlights from across Cisco this week:
- Omar Santos asks whether March Madness might equal Malware Madness
- Kevin Dean looks at Big Data, IoE and the challenge of minute-by-minute patient care
- Kathryn Truesdale recaps Cisco’s participation in the Next Generation Insurance Conference and the Best Practices in Retail Financial Services Symposium
- Joann Starke discusses how to unlock the potential of converged infrastructure
- Stephen Liu looks at segment routing and its effect on SDNs
- Rob Lloyd highlights several major sports industry Cisco solutions that reveal the potential of the connected fan experience
- Bernadette Wightman analyzes the opportunity behind business growth and investment in the MEAR countries
- Kelly Ahuja explains how Cisco is setting the pace in mobility innovation
Keep An Eye Out
- Register for Marketing Velocity On the Air’s April 9 webcast, “Building Effective Content Marketing Strategies To Drive Demand,” featuring Channel Maven Consulting President Heather Margolis
- Hear from top Cisco executives first-hand about their experiences with and best practices for social media. It’s a U-Stream broadcast kicking off at 9 a.m. PT on April 3. Also be sure to check out the complimentary Cisco Social Media Training for partners and customers.
- Cisco recently launched the VNI Service Awards program, which looks for the best stories in how customers are using network services. The program runs from March 26 to May 10, and Thomas Barnett Jr. explains it all here.