Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS) is on a tear.
First, IDC’s Server Tracker revealed that Cisco UCS had displaced incumbent vendors to reach the #3 position in revenue globally in the fast-growing blade server market, all in two short years. Amazingly, the results were even more impressive in the US, where Cisco’s earned #2 ranking in revenues with 19.7 percent of the x86 market.
Then, Gartner unveiled their server numbers. According to Gartner’s x86 blade server summary Cisco (at 9.6%) has moved past a close competitor into the #3 position in worldwide x86 blade servers for Q1CY11 based on shipments. Gartner estimates Cisco x86 year-over-year growth at 433%. In that same time span Cisco has increased x86 market share by over seven percent, with one close competitor losing over five percent and another losing over three percent in worldwide x86 worldwide share, according to Gartner estimates.
The bottom line: No matter what way you slice the data Cisco UCS is hot. In fact, every other blade server vendor has lost market share while Cisco has gained 10 points in just two years. But what’s the secret behind the growing popularity of Cisco UCS?
In a five-minute video, Cisco data center gurus Soni Jiandani (senior vice president, Server Access Virtualization Technologies) and Stephanie Carullo (vice president, Worldwide Sales, Data Center / Virtualization) discuss the secrets behind Cisco’s data center innovation and market momentum.
Here are some sound bites from Stephanie and Soni to whet your appetite.
- “It’s an exciting time because demand for data center innovation has vaulted Cisco to top ranking as a computing systems vendor.”
- “UCS has outpaced market growth within x86 blades and displaced longstanding incumbents.”
- “We’ve seen significant growth in customer adoption across companies of all sizes in all industries.”
- “Every other blade server vendor has lost market share while Cisco has gained 10 points in just two years.”
- “Cisco taking 20 percent share in the US is proof this transition is real.”
- “Blades grew 2X rate of market last quarter; forecasted by IDC to grow at three times the market over the coming 5 years.”
- “Fabric computing is emerging as the preferred architecture for consolidation and virtualization with a movement towards cloud.”
- “We [Cisco] will continue to innovate unlike traditional players.”