Today, at Höganäs North America, the high-performance Cisco network delivers the day-to-day voice and data communications needed for around-the-clock communications and network connectivity that are vital to Höganäs’ staff for not only daily operations but to ensure the safety of their 80 plant employees: activities such as enabling crane operators servicing furnaces to alert nearby teams to help ensure their safety for example.
“The Power of Powder” video is from the new Höganäs North America website that provides “Metal Powder Information, Anytime, Anywhere”. Very cool YouTube video!
The company is seeing productivity increase and frustrations decrease, for example, when managers can walk the entire shipping floor without dropping the call on their wireless IP phone, which used to be a daily problem for the department.
The Cisco Unified Wireless Network that has been installed is complemented by a high-availability, secure physical network built on Cisco Catalyst® 3750 Series stacked switches, Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches, and Cisco 2800 Series Integrated Services Routers.
The Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G-EX, the focus of my video in my last blog: Höganäs North America chooses Cisco over Motorola, Nortel, Avaya, and others – Part 1, delivers the ruggedness and resiliency needed in the manufacturing environment saturated with metal powders than can easily damage standard wireless IP phones.
“Around-the-clock communications and network connectivity are vital to our staff for not only daily operations but to ensure the safety of our 80 plant employees,” He then adds: “Today, we’re experiencing a new level of efficiency across departments and can maintain the degree of safety needed when manufacturing metal powders, thanks to our integrated Cisco environment. Greater network connectivity enabled by CleanAir technology is enhancing productivity for other activities too, such as developing in-house prototypes and products, and collaborating with outside researchers in metallurgy and industrial processes and applications.”
The case studygoes into a lot of details about the breadth of Cisco Solutions used. The business benefits are profound:
- Now that North American Höganäs has a pervasive and comprehensive Cisco wireless, wired, and voice platform, the company’s manufacturing, research and development, marketing, sales, and other teams now have 24-hour access to the applications and data that they need to complete the tasks at hand.
- Added to which, The Cisco Unified Wireless Network enables the IT staff to reduce the hours spent managing and troubleshooting wireless problems by approximately 5 to 10 hours per week and to instead devote their time to critical projects.
This is just another example of how Cisco is bringing industry-relevant solutions to our customers, rather than the point products that our competitors tend to provide. Working with our partners, like Link Computer Corporationin this case, those solutions provide real business benefits to customers like North American Höganäs:
- Delivered enhanced network performance and increased employee productivity
- Elevated communications and collaboration to the level necessary to foster safe manufacturing environment
- Provided complete, centralized visibility into network spanning the 500,000-square-foot facility
Once again, look out for more Manufacturing Industry customer use cases – and let me know your experiences – I can’t promise I’ll publish your story, but you never know…
Tags: business benefits, Case Study, Cisco CleanAir technology, Cisco Unified Wireless Network, clean air, cleanair, Höganäs, Höganäs cisco, Höganäs networkinhg, LAN, Manufacturing, videolink, wcs, wireless, wireless network, wlan