Today is Halloween with fun costumes and trick or treat in our communities and also the last day of National Cybersecurity Awareness month.
I love the Internet and all the great social and professional tools available in my life, to do my job, and keep in touch with friends and family around the world. But, we need to be careful since each email or web link represents a potential threat in the cyber world. Forget the ghosts and goblins of Halloween, cyber security threats are scary. Cyber-threats now have the potential to disrupt communications, cause widespread power outages, and compromise sensitive government intelligence – in a blink of an eye.
And, with the proliferation of mobile devices we need to be extra careful to ensure security. A recent U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) report found “18 of 24 major federal agencies have reported inadequate information security controls,” and in a September 2012 report on mobile security, recommends better implementation of controls for mobile devices need to be encouraged since malware aimed at mobile devices alone has risen 185 percent in less than a year.
The good news is that there are steps we can also take to address these risks including best practices. Click to learn more.
- StopThinkConnect Toolkit
- Cybertips to help protect yourself, your families, and members of your community
- Additional resources
- Cyber Defense. The New Battlefield.
- Cisco Security and the Layered Defense Approach
- Cyber Security Month: Do you trust your technology vendors?
- Cyberspace! The New Frontier!
- Tracking Malicious Activity with Passive DNS Query Monitoring
- Progress Report from the Common Criteria Supply Chain Security Technical Working Group
- Sniffing Out Social Media Disinformation
- How Safe is Your Network? Learn How to Defend Your Cyber Borders
- Managing Communications During Customer-Impacting Incidents
- The Virtual Maginot Line
- SPAN Packet Duplication: Problem and Solution
- NCSAM: Diversity, Consistency, and Security Intelligence
You can also learn more about security capabilities available Cisco BYOD and Cisco VXI Smart Solutions.
Please let us know your thoughts about cybersecurity at our 21st Century Government community