Today is another beautiful day at the International Association of Court Administration (IACA) conference in The Hague, Netherlands.
The keynotes and panel workshops have been very impressive with many challenging topics.
Mr. John Stacey, President, European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice moderated the panel discussion that focused on challenges building and maintaining a framework for court services in a global economic malaise focused on best practices for improving the efficiency of courts with digital systems optimized for quality, speed, and process improvement.
- Mr. Ruslan Kyryliuk, Chairman, State Judicial Administration, Kyiv, Ukraine shared lessons for continuous improvements with standards and citizen report cards
- Ms. Mary Campbell McQueen, President, National Center for State Courts, Williamsburg, Virginia, U.S.A. shared a framework model (access, plan, implement, and evaluate) in the new normal focused on not more with less but doing more by doing things differently through re-engineering of court processes. Six strategies include: consolidate services, automate, systematically apply case management, maximize online transactions, reorganize back office, and redistrict and redefine jurisdiction and venue.
- Dr. Frans van Dijk, Director Strategy and Development, Netherlands Council for the Judiciary, Netherlands described the relationship between our economy and increases in court caseloads with three recommendations for reducing costs to simplify procedures, redraw judicial maps, and improve funding incentives. These are detailed in the European Networks of Council for the Judiciary (ENCJ) report. It is critical for the judiciary take the lead and be directly involved in the design.
- Honorable Madhat H. al-Mahmood, Chief Justice and Chairman, Higher Judicial Council, Republic of Iraq
- Honorable Professor Abdul Salam Azimi, Chief Justice, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Kabul, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
- Honorable Adel Maged, Vice-President, Court of Cassation, Cairo, Arab Republic of Egypt
- Member of High Judicial Council, Palestine