Co-written by Joe O’Connor, Senior Executive Director, Cisco Smart+Connected Communities
Seattle, famous for technology and innovation, couldn’t be a more perfect place to attend and participate in the 2012 Every Building Conference & Expo hosted by Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International and BUILDINGS. This summer meeting is one of commercial real estate’s premier events and a place to develop new ideas and showcase Cisco’s commitment to the smart+connected real estate industry.
Cisco’s participation at the conference will be multi-faceted. As a Cornerstone Partner with BOMA, we will present to other industry professionals on Cisco solutions and hear from other partners about how they have put their ideas to work to advance commercial real estate offerings. We will also be participating in three panel sessions focused on the role of technology innovation in shaping the real estate industry. If you are attending the conference, we encourage you hear from us at the following sessions:
- Sunday, June 24, 9:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m, Excellence through Innovation: Key Lessons from the Green Sigma Coalition: Cisco’s Joe O’Connor will engage in conversation with members of the IBM Green Sigma Coalition as they address the next stage in the evolution of smarter buildings in the context of their collaborative experiences. Panelists will discuss how they are enabling leading edge practices in building energy, space, and operations to meet key sustainability challenges they have faced. And most importantly, the importance of IT and facilities operations teams working together to improve outcomes and help society at large.
- Sunday, June 24, 10:45 a.m. – noon, Technology and Real Estate: The Next Frontier of Industry Transformation: Cisco IBSG’s Gordon Feller will be joined by Kristin Ryan, Director at Jonathan Rose Companies; Jesse Sycuro, Operations Manager of Smart Building Solutions at McKinstry and Robert B. Peña, Associate Professor, College of Built Environments at the University of Washington as they participated in a panel session focused on how to turn workplaces and home spaces into environments that are sustainable, personalized, efficient, functional and profitable. The discussion will also highlight how to leverage the network as the 4th utility converges communications, security, and building control systems and more.
- Monday, June 25, 9:00 a.m. -- 10:40 a.m, Real Estate 2020: The Shape of Things to Come: Cisco IBSG’s Gordon Feller will join a general panel session with other leaders in the real estate, architecture and technology fields as they explore how the changes in the economy, emerging technology, sustainability and quality-of-life factors will impact the shape of our office environments in the years to come. Moderated by award-winning editor John Salustri, the panelists will discuss the evolution of workplaces; how the needs of corporate end-users are changing; how ongoing technological advancements impact—for better or worse—the interaction of people and places; what will define high-performance space; and in a post-terrorist world, what is the outlook for protection of our people and our places.
In addition to participating in Cisco-led events, it’s our hope to learn from other industry professionals and discuss key questions on our minds including:
- What are the specific key ingredients which underpin some of the success stories, such as projects which successfully harnessed new ICT?
- In concrete terms, what will characterize the next-generation of smart and connected buildings and communities?
- In light of the character of these next-generation buildings / urban communities, what decisions should a developer be making now in order to future-proof their building projects?
We look forward to sharing our insights to these questions in a future blog post. Stay tuned!