I’ve been in the wireless industry a long time. Like a really long time, ie., twenty years or so. Hard for me to believe, but there it is. It’s been a heck of a great ride for me and my family. One of the most memorable experiences I had was to spend half of a day discussing the relationship between string theory and wireless propagation with a small group of physicists.
That discussion has continued on in one form or another for some years now. Though I don’t engineer many wireless systems these days, I still enjoy a hearty discussion on RF theory about as much as I ever did. One of the current threads in that discussion pertains to complex adaptive systems (CAS). The ultimate complex adaptive system is the human brain. Definitely recommend you read an incredible book called, “The Shallows” by Nicholas Carr which illuminates how our brains are affected by the time we spend online. Fascinating.
Read More »
Tags: Network design, SBA, Smart Business Architecture, wireless
Get prepared to deploy Medianet with Cisco Technologies! This year’s edition of Cisco Live London Jan31-Feb3, 2011 has numerous sessions that cover the design and deployment of rich media networks.
You can get your hands dirty and learn how to configure the brand new Medianet IOS features Mediatrace and Performance Monitor in the Enterprise Medianet Lab (LTREVT-2300). This lab session also provides the opportunity for hands-on experience on medianet technologies such as QOS, Netflow, Performance Monitoring, Mediatrace, IP SLA video operation and PfR and video applications such as Physical Security, Telepresence, Video Conferencing, Digital Signage and WebEx.
Read More »
Tags: business video, cisco live, enterprise networks, medianet, rich media applications, video
Next week, I’ll be at Cisco Live in London to participate in some exciting Borderless Network activities. We will be hosting short presentations related to Borderless Networks such as Application Velocity, the new Cisco Catalyst Compact Switches, Cisco EnergyWise, and more.
We will also be kicking off the special version of the Borderless Challenge at the Borderless Challenge Theater located in the World of Solutions. The Cisco 3D Borderless Challenge is a competition that tests your knowledge of Cisco Borderless Networks innovations, especially in routing solutions. You will be able to compete with your peers for a chance to win an Apple iPad. Plus, you can take your picture with Ike and post this on our Borderless Networks Facebook wall for fun! Also, be sure to see the Global Online Borderless Challenge for a chance to win a trip to Hawaii!
Borderless 3D Challenge Show Times:
- Tuesday, February 1 – 11:00 and 16:00, 18:30, and 19:30
- Wednesday, February 2 – 10:45 and 15:45 and 18:15
Don’t forget to stop by the Borderless Networks booth to experience how Cisco Borderless Networks can transform the way that IT governs networks by linking users, devices, applications, and business processes together.
Borderless Networks Demonstrations:
- AnyConnect Secure Mobility – Learn how to provide easy and secure access on the user device of choice while enforcing consistent security policies
- Borderless Network Services – Connect people, information, and devices securely, reliably, and seamlessly with Cisco Catalyst Switches
- Borderless Energy Management – See our energy management architecture to monitor, manage, and optimize energy use with Cisco EnergyWise.
- Cisco CleanAir Technology – Learn how to enable mobile devices with enterprise-class 802.11n and wireless interference protection.
- Cisco Application Velocity Experience – Maximize user experience for any application, optimize resource utilization, and increase reliability with Cisco Application Velocity
- Secure Cloud – Learn how to increase application survivability and optimize branch infrastructure with UCS Express on ISR G2; enable cloud security with ScanSafe and Ironport
- Experience Demo – Experience how Borderless Networks can transform a retail environment, powered by: ISR, Catalyst Switches, Mobility and more.
For more information about the demos, please go to the following website. Hope to see you at the show!
Tags: Borderless Challenge, Borderless Networks, Ike, IT Willis, routing
“Innovation is the central issue in economic prosperity.” - Michael Porter
There’s been some interesting coverage this week about President Obama’s State of the Union address. And while pundits on all sides debate the ideologies as well as the details, it’s easy to agree on one of his key points – that innovation is the key to getting the economy and the country back on track.
Given the importance of innovation, isn’t it worth taking a fresh look at innovation itself? Many “innovations” such as the Declaration of Independence, the Apollo Space Program, even clever ad campaigns, were all realized by having several smart people in one place to develop ideas together. But now that’s all changed.
Read More »
Tags: Borderless Networks, branch, ISR G2, routing, Unified Computing System Express
I recently saw an executive carrying five mobile devices. There was an iPhone in one pocket, a BlackBerry in another, an Andriod in his jacket, a Droid Pro stuffed somewhere else, and an iPad in the back of his pants. It made me wonder when we’ll gain the ability to have one device (of our choice) that can do it all rather than be forced to roll like the human equivalent of a clown car.
A wave of consumer devices has flooded the enterprise and caused some tsunami-type problems for IT and for employees. Companies need to secure this constant parade of devices, and employees want unencumbered access to business information, anytime, all the time, from any device they want.
Read More »