New Software Release IOS-XE 3.6.0E/IOS 15.2(2)E Enables Lower TCO and Innovation
If you’ve ever had a situation where you urgently need new switching features or critical bug fixes, you’ll know why a new Cisco IOS software release is as precious as gold. In fact, a new software release can create big impact beyond features and bug fixes in many ways. For example, about 9 months ago, Cisco published its first converged software release (IOS-XE 3.5.0E/IOS 15.2(1)E) that allowed many Cisco switches such as Catalyst 4500-E, 4500-X, 3750-X, 3560-X, 2960-S, 2960-C, 2960-Plus, and 3560-C to use a common software release for simplified IT operations and maintenance.
Today, we are excited to announce a new Cisco software release, IOS-XE 3.6.0E/IOS 15.2(2)E, which is a major milestone in the Cisco IOS software history. For the first time, this new software delivers a single version of converged release for the extensive Cisco Unified Access product portfolio. You can save precious time, reduce operational costs and achieve lower total cost of ownership (TCO) with this release as you qualify, deploy and maintain this single combined software going forward . This software release supports new Unified Access products including Catalyst 2960-X/XR, Catalyst 3850/3850 fiber/3650, Catalyst 4500-E Supervisor 8-E, Cisco 5760 Wireless LAN Controller (WLC) as well as other “classic” Catalyst switches. Take a look at the chart below to see details.
|New Software Release||Supported Platforms|
|IOS-XE 3.6.0E||Catalyst 3850/3850 fiber/3650, Catalyst 4500-E Supervisor 8-E (and older supervisors), Catalyst 4500-X, 5760 WLC|
|IOS 15.2(2)E||Catalyst 2960-X/XR, 2960-S, 2960-Plus, Catalyst 3750-X/3560-X and Catalyst 2960-C/3560-C|
The new software release also delivers a rich set of software services to help you innovate your business. Here’s a list of IOS-XE3.6.0E/15.2(2)E feature highlights.
|Your Business Careabouts||IOS-XE 3.6.0E/IOS 15.2(2)E Features and Capabilities|
|BYOD & Mobility||Further enhancement to Cisco Service Discovery Gateway (SDG) functionality with
– location awareness for wired and wireless services
– High availability (HSRP/VRRP awareness and Designated Gateway)
– Static service definition.
Native device profiling and policy classification for wired & wireless to apply policies defined locally or centrally through Cisco ISE.
|Simplified switch deployment, configuration and software change management with
– Auto-configuration and Interface Template to define interface and service templates, which is simple and flexible to use, and significantly improves device configuration file readability.
– Easy VSS and Auto Secure, for streamlined deployment of VSS and key campus security features such port security, dynamic source guard and DHCP snooping by issuing only one CLI command “auto security”.
|QOS and per-user policies with application visibility for wireless traffic on Catalyst 3850/3650 and 5760 WLC. You can define application policies based on user role as well as device type.
Similarly for wired traffic, Medianet capability can be used for media (voice/video) traffic on Catalyst 3850/3650.
|Support for Virtual Switching Systems (VSS) functionality on Catalyst 4500E Supervisor 8-E, including complete parity with Sup7-E VSS functionality|
|– Enhanced WebUI to take full advantage of extensive filtering capabilities available in SDG
– Support of new APs and wireless features including application visibility and control, native profiling and policy engine with critical usability and dashboard performance improvements
– Prime Infrastructure version 2.1 support
|– New AP support for Cisco Aironet Access point 700, 700W, 1530 (in centralized mode, no mesh) & 2700
– IOS-XE products: Catalyst 3850, 3650, Catalyst 4500E supervisors Sup8-E, Sup7-E & Sup7L-E, Catalyst 4500-X and 5760 WLC
– IOS products: Catalyst 3K (3750-X, 3560-X), Catalyst 2K (2960X/R, 2960S/SF) and Compact Switches 2960C/3560C
Many of you had great success with Catalyst 3750-X and Catalyst 4500E Sup 7-E in the past. The new IOS-XE 3.6.0E/IOS 15.2(2)E release provides critical feature parity for Catalyst 3850 with 3750-X, in the areas of VRRPv3, IPv6 VRFs, Device Sensor, Medianet and EnergyWise. The new release also brings full feature parity for Catalyst 4500E Sup 8-E with Sup 7-E.
For those of you who have certification requirements at your workplace, you’ll be happy to know that this release has completed government certifications such as FIPS 140, Common Criteria and US DOD UC APL.
Here are two videos that can help you know more about the new release:
Need to learn more? You can get additional information on this exciting new software release by searching for IOS-XE 3.6.0E or IOS 15.2(2)E on cisco.com to read software release notes for the specific product platforms that you are interested in.
Tags: IOS-XE, IOS, Catalyst, Switches, 4500E Sup 8-E, 3850, 3650, 2960-X, 5760 WLC, Cisco software release