WAN Optimization is an essential element of Cisco’s network-centric platform strategy, enabling key transitions such as data center consolidation, virtualization, cloud, virtual desktops and BYOD. Cisco is continuing to invest in the Wide Area Application Services (WAAS) portfolio to drive our strategy of integrating WAN Optimization into the network fabric to achieve unmatched scale, performance, and simplicity, while reducing overall customer TCO. The WAAS team is an integral part of Cisco’s Enterprise Networking Group to help achieve these goals.
Recent speculation that Cisco has dissolved its WAAS business is inaccurate. Cisco’s strategy to deliver WAAS pervasively as part of the Cisco WAN infrastructure remains unchanged.
Consistent with the strategy of providing application optimization as a key function of the network infrastructure, Cisco provides a broad portfolio of , and form factors. Strong alignment between the WAAS and Services Routing Group (SRG) product development teams has helped drive innovations such as with WAVE appliances for data centers, Cloud Services Routers with virtual WAAS for public clouds and highly scalable router-integrated form factors. Cisco accelerates a wide variety of applications including file, email, web, secure applications, SaaS, virtual desktops and cloud services.
In conjunction with the broad based success and adoption of the WAAS solution in the market, Cisco is integrating the sales coverage into the mainstream sales force within the US. For our customers and partners, this will simplify how they engage with Cisco by providing a single point of contact for the full range of Cisco networking solutions.
Cisco’s Wide Area Application Services (WAAS) product portfolio has achieved tremendous customer and market success in the past several months, including many industry awards and recognition:
- Over 10,000 global customers have invested in WAAS with an installed base of over 165,000 units. The vast majority of the Fortune 100 use Cisco WAAS, with many large customers scaling out to thousands of sites as they deploy WAAS end-to-end.
- Cisco is #1 in unit share (Source: Infonetics) for the last 3 quarters, a clear customer validation of Cisco’s WAN-integrated optimization strategy.
- of “Best of Interop Awards 2012” in Performance Optimization, beating Riverbed -- Cisco WAAS with AppNav for private and public clouds.
- NetworkWorld.com product brief declared that WAAS provides, “the best performance we’ve seen”, based on the new WAAS appliances and application-aware optimizations for VDI, Video and Virtualization.
- Winner of all 6 categories for IT Brand pulse 2012 awards for WAN Optimization, including Market Leadership, Innovation, Performance, Value, Services and Reliability, again beating Riverbed.
- In January, Ed Tech Magazine reviewed the smallest WAVE appliance and exclaimed, “There’s a lot for IT to love”
- Winner of Nemertes Research award for best customer satisfaction for WAN optimization products.
Cisco recently launched the Cisco Cloud Connected Solution with WAAS and AppNav as critical capabilities to ensuring high performance for applications delivered from virtualized data-centers and public clouds. , Mike Ruchensky, vice president and chief information officer for SWIFT Transportation stated, “[Swift Transportation] sees Cisco AppNav, the latest virtualization technology, as the solution to easily scale our 2nd data center deployment, reaping additional benefits such as on-demand provisioning of WAN optimization resources, virtualization of service infrastructure, and investment protection.”
Cisco WAAS is the most powerful WAN optimization system in the market today. You can be assured that Cisco is committed to WAAS for the long-term.
We remain fully engaged and working against our long term WAAS roadmap to drive application awareness into the network
For more information on Cisco WAN Optimization (WAAS), please click here
For more information on Cisco Cloud Connected Solution (part of our Cloud Intelligent Network strategy), please click here
Please post any questions or feedback in the comments box below.