Discussions about switching almost always seem to be restricted to either the campus or the datacenter. While these are obviously very critical, there is a segment that is often overlooked: switching outside the wiring closet.
There is an increasing need to provide connectivity to a variety of devices in classrooms, stores, hospitals, hotel rooms, conference rooms, warehouses, etc. With cable runs costing anywhere from $200 -- $1000, customers want a local switch that is trusted, reliable and secure.
The Catalyst Compact Switch is just that! It is a small (8 and 12 port) switch that takes the power of the “Catalyst Switch” series outside the wiring closet and provides a versatile and flexible option for networking needs.
- Part of the Family: With the same software as the rest of the Catalyst switch family, this switch can be operated, managed, and secured in the same way as any other Catalyst switch.
- Reliable PoE: This PoE-capable switch can power wireless access points, IP phones, surveillance cameras and other PoE powered devices.
- PoE Passthrough: enables the switch to be itself powered by Cisco UPOE and PoE standards, and in turn power other PoE devices. Thus, it completely eliminates the need for a power outlet.
- Resiliency: Dual uplinks (Copper and SFP) enable a reliable and resilient operation.
- Smart Operations: Smart Install makes it easy to deploy the switch, while Auto Smart Ports provides automatic provisioning of end devices.
- Mounting Flexibility: This sleek and small form-factor switch is quiet and fan-less. It can be installed facedown or parallel, under a desk, on the wall or on a DIN rail.
Not coincidentally, this is a very popular choice among our customers in retail, education (see University of Kansas case study), hospitality (see Norwegian Cruise Lines case study), healthcare, enterprise (see Mitsubishi Research Institute case study) and building automation.
For more information please see the compact switch At-A-Glance or visit http://www.cisco.com/go/compactswitches