Cisco’s president of Emerging Markets outlines Q1 Highlights
Cisco’s emerging markets operations area spans over 130 nations, representing 2.3 billion people. Some of the countries Cisco is working in include Lebanon, Hungary, Poland, Turkey, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Russia, South Africa, and Egypt. It’s a lot of territory to cover, that’s for sure. With this in mind, Cisco has established a clearly defined process for driving its business in emerging countries focused on building out Cisco’s coverage and establishing replicable business models that provide synergies across industry verticals and between countries.
All of these initiatives are focused on the the company’s long-term strategy of “country transformation,” which is Cisco’s concept of providing communications equipment and technology assistance to help a country reach its social and economic development goals.
Paul Mountford, Cisco’s president for the Emerging Markets theater, provided an overview of some of the key highlights across the theatre in this video from our Q1 earnings in FY10:
For an overall perspective on our first quarter FY10 earnings, you may also be interested in this Q&A with Cisco chairman and CEO, John Chambers and Cisco CFO, Frank Calderoni.
You can read about some of the key customer announcements from Q1 in the Emerging Markets Theater here:
- Turkish service provider Turkcell deployed a joint solution from Cisco and Openet to provide a flexible charging system for Turkcell’s general packet radio service (GPRS) mobile data network.
- In Mexico, Telefonos de Mexico (TELMEX) launched Telepresencia Administrada TELMEX, a plan to market intercompany Cisco TelePresence services in Latin America.
- Kenya’s Ministry of Information and Communications Technology launched the first network-enabled Pilot Pasha Centre in Kangundo with the aim of enhancing the livelihoods of local citizens and encouraging new micro-enterprises.
- In Argentina, Garrahan Hospital enhanced its telemedicine experience with Cisco and Telefónica, with the objective of offering remote health care support and services in different Argentine provinces.
- Video-delivery expertise available from Cisco powered the launch of a new video-on-demand service for Polish telecommunication operator ASTER.
We also publish more news on a daily basis on our dedicated Cisco Emerging Markets news page that is worth checking out: http://newsroom.cisco.com/emerging/
There’s also an RSS feed of all press releases from our Emerging Markets team here.