Cisco Unified Computing System Service Profiles and Templates contain over 127 different server identification and configuration settings. These identity settings are abstracted from the physical server and stored in the UCS Domain where they can be leveraged automating and speeding deployment while reducing errors. Today, this Cisco innovation is still unique in the industry. The reality is that no other server vendor can offer the level of hardware abstraction that Cisco provides with UCS Manager using Service Profiles and Templates.
Unlike Cisco, other vendors must rely on many different tools and methods that are cobbled together to manage their servers. For some, it can take up to six different tools to configure a subset of what Cisco can do with one and most of these tools are at an additional cost.
Are you concerned about systems management and how it impacts your total cost of ownership (TCO)? Here are some fair questions to ask your current vendor:
- Can your software templates manage both rack and blade servers using a single tool and interface?
- Are your templates and profiles limited to specific models and only certain generation of servers, requiring different templates or tools for the same settings for servers from different generations of the same server model?
- Is server firmware truly integrated into a single tool and supported by policies and profiles?
- Do the tools use only proprietary orchestration and automation software to manage the infrastructure or does it support an open interface like XML?
- What is the licensing model – how much is the additional cost per server or per blade chassis to fully manage server profiles, updates to firmware, BIOS, and integration with other tools?
If you have more than one domain, UCS Central will manage them extending all the benefits of UCS Manger globally. You can leverage your templates and profiles across all servers regardless of location.
If you’d like to have a more in-depth discussion on this topic, contact your Cisco account team or Partner.
Want to learn more? Take Cisco UCS Manager for a test drive.
Convinced? Buy now and save with Cisco UCS SmartPlays.