I thought I would switch gears a bit and touch on one of the other pillars of the data center. Our storage environment continues to be a great story to tell and continues to be a source of interest with customers I brief. If you look at the numbers, they are pretty cool:
- 125 MDS switches deployed globally
- 12,000 ports in production globally, 10 petabytes
- TCO driven from $0.12/MB down to $0.01/MB
- Average amount of storage managed by an employee increased from 25 terabyte to 600 terabytes
- Since 2001, storage utilization has increased from 20% to 68%
The Cisco IT storage story really highlights the benefits of Data Center 3.0 and the consolidate > virtualize > automate path. In this installment of the TechMinute, Sidney talks about how we manage this environment. For further interesting reading, here is a case study on how Cisco IT uses our SAN to automate the legal discovery process, and another case study on supporting our ERP environment.