Two years ago, Cisco delivered on an innovative vision to unite compute, network, storage access and virtualization into one cohesive system: the Unified Computing System (UCS.) Cisco recently reported its fourth quarter results for Fiscal Year 2011, and we are delighted by the growing market traction for this revolutionary new computing platform.
We ended our fiscal year with a total of 7,400 customers, adding over 2000 new UCS customers in Q4 alone. Customers from across all industry segments: Enterprise, Commercial, Service Provider and Public Sector, have invested in UCS solutions across the globe.
Our goal was to design a new system from the ground up that would be flexible and scalable enough to handle any workload. We delivered on the objective to create the ideal, programmable, platform for virtualized and cloud environments, and to help solve many of the very real challenges our customers face.
Cisco’s rapid market growth underscores our leadership in the industry transition to fabric computing and converged infrastructure. But this is just the beginning: we are committed to evolving UCS and delivering continued technology innovation. Thanks for joining us on this journey – we have leagues more innovation ahead of us.
|At CiscoLive July 10-14 in Las Vegas, we celebrated the 2nd year anniversary since we first began shipping UCS on July 20, 2009. It was the perfect time to look back on some key milestones to date.|
- July 2009: Cisco begins shipping the UCS B-Series blade server
- October 2009: Cisco delivers to market the UCS patented Memory Extension Blade
- Nov. 2009: Cisco ships the UCS C-Series rack mount server
- December 2009: Cisco delivers the Virtual Interface Card for adapter consolidation and virtualization optimization; enables each virtualized adapter to define up to 128 Ethernet or Fibre Channel connections.
- April 2010: Cisco delivers next generation servers based on Intel Xeon processor 5600 series and Intel Xeon processor 7500 series; adds 4-socket servers to the UCS portfolio
- April 2011: Cisco now offers 9 systems in UCS portfolio; wins nine new industry benchmark world records
- May 2011: Cisco captures #3 spot in worldwide x86 blade server market, tied for #2 in North America and #2 in the US in the first quarter of CY2011, as measured by factory revenue *
- July 2011: At 7,400 strong and growing, UCS has a $1.1B annualized revenue run rate. More than 30% of UCS customers have placed repeat orders, with an average of 4 repeat buys each.
- August 2011: Cisco UCS achieved 45 Industry Benchmark World Records since 2009
- August 2011: Cisco continues growth in x86 blade servers: #3 worldwide, #3 in North America and #2 in the US for the second quarter of CY2011, as measured by factory revenue **
* IDC Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker Q1CY11, May 2011
** IDC Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker Q2CY11, August 2011
|From customer results to product awards it’s clear why UCS is succeeding in the market:|