With the introduction of the Cisco Nexus 7004 chassis, Cisco continues to broaden the Nexus 7000 switching deployment options for your data centers. At only 7 rack-unit (RU), the Nexus 7004 chassis provides customers with a much smaller footprint choice, while delivering configuration consistency and all the comprehensive Unified Fabric and NX-OS features of the Cisco Nexus 7000 family.
Over the last few years, the Cisco Nexus 7018, 7010, and 7009 chassis have become the work horse of many enterprise and service provider data centers networks. However, customers still wanted a smaller footprint Cisco Nexus 7000 for several reasons, including the following:
- End-to-End Data Center Consistency – A smaller footprint Cisco Nexus 7000 for Top-of-rack server deployment with the Cisco Nexus 2000 (FEX), allowing feature and hardware consistency from the access to the core.
- Network Edge Deployments – A lower density/footprint solution, for network edge features such as OTV, LISP and MPLS.
- Small Data Centers - A high-end switching solution at a lower cost and density entry point for small data centers, which require the high resiliency and the comprehensive NX-OS features of the Nexus 7000.
- Space and Power Constraints – A significantly smaller physical and power footprint compared to the larger chassis
So, what are the feature highlights you need to know about the Nexus 7004 chassis? Here’s a brief summary:
- Two dedicated supervisor slots and two I/O modules slots
- Support for the SUP2 and SUP2E, delivering high performance, hitless resiliency, and all the NX-OS features that the Cisco Nexus family is known for.
- Two I/O module slots that support all modules except for the Non-XL M1 modules and F1 module
- Does not require fabric modules. Unlike other Cisco Nexus 7000 chassis, the I/O module slots are connected back-to-back to form a two-stage crossbar that interconnects the I/O modules and supervisor engines
- Designed with side-to-rear airflow, reducing rack footprint to 7 RU, optimizing rack density, and allowing hot-aisle deployments.
With four Cisco Nexus 7000 chassis ranging from 4 slots to 18 slots, customers now have a right-sized chassis configuration to deploy an end-to-end Cisco Nexus 7000 solution to address all their data center needs from the largest to the smallest data center!