Manage Hadoop Jobs from iPhone? Yes with Cisco Enterprise Scheduler!
Last night we uploaded version 6.1 of Cisco’s Tidal Enterprise Scheduler. I’m pretty excited to introduce the new functionality of this tool and there’s a lot. Particularly with Hadoop support and Amazon EC and S3 support as well. If you are unfamiliar with TES, the datasheet is here.
But when talking about big data, I thought, I’d start small. Like iPhone small. Existing Scheduler customers and the curious, can download the free Apple iPhone app to control jobs. Here’s the AppStore description and link
Cisco Enterprise Scheduler is the premiere job scheduling and process automation software that provides a single point of control and monitoring for business operations. Enterprise Scheduler for iOS now allows Scheduler administrators and users to monitor and control their operations directly on their mobile devices. Enterprise Scheduler for iOS was designed for the mobile user experience, but retains core features of the Enterprise Scheduler web client that users are familiar with including:
* Monitor and view jobs, connections, events, schedules, queues, logs and alerts.
* Control all aspects of jobs, including holding, rerunning, canceling, and overriding jobs.
* Powerful search and filtering for all Scheduler objects.
As for the BigData story? I will post more in a few days, but here’s why this product is crucial to big data deployments
What is the Cisco Tidal Scheduler (TES) product and why is it relevant for Big Data?
Big Data requires major data processing—which remains a main function of data centers. The data transformation processes necessary to make Big Data usable are complex and it is inefficient and cost prohibitive to manage such processes in silos without automation because there are so many processes, cross technologies and a myriad of inter-dependencies. Cisco Tidal Enterprise Scheduler solves this problem because it provides workload automation that facilitates the flow of data between a wide variety of enterprise applications, now including Hadoop.
The automation delivered by the scheduler makes the creation and management of processes used to transform vast amounts of data into usable information a very feasible endeavor by providing a holistic approach and a unified environment. It helps IT cut costs and increase the value gained from Big Data in the same way that it has been doing for traditional business intelligence management and delivery. Cisco Tidal Enterprise Scheduler provides:
- End-to-end business process management and visibility
- Deep API integrations with major enterprise applications and Big Data platforms
- Capacity awareness of the entire business processing environment
- Real-time, latency-free job stream automation
- Reduction of errors in business analytics and reporting
- SLA awareness for historical and predictive analysis
Cisco Tidal Enterprise Scheduler works across diverse systems environments and provides a single point of control and visibility for all scheduled and event-driven processes.
Cisco News: Cisco Tidal Enterprise Scheduler (TES) release 6.1
This release of Tidal Enterprise Scheduler continues to extend and expand the value of the TES product through the addition of these new capabilities:
- Support for Big Data processing. Customers can now include Hadoop processing in their enterprise scheduling infrastructure by scheduling Sqoop, Data Mover (HDFS), Hive, and MapReduce jobs using the same views as all other enterprise workloads. TES has added Hadoop API integrations to deliver granular and error-free processing of Hadoop jobs. The Enterprise Adapter for Informatica has also been validated for the Informatica 9.5 release, which includes Informatica workloads for Hadoop, providing multiple ways to schedule Big Data workloads.
- Mobile Management via iPhone App: Customers can now control jobs and manage their TES environment from their iPhone. This new UI gives administrators the ability to manage adapter and agent connections, override, hold/stop, and release/resume TES jobs, as well as filter and view jobs, alerts, events, schedules, connections, queues and logs.
- Support for Amazon Cloud Environments. TES now integrates existing workload environments with Amazon Cloud Services environments via integration with Amazon Elastic Cloud (EC2) and Storage (S3) resources. This feature delivers expanded, automated workload environmental management by scheduling additional workload processing and storage for business processing environments, when needed. This ability to cross workloads between internal datacenters and external clouds helps cross-organizational processes.
- Self-service solution to business partners with the Cisco Workplace Portal. Customize access and functionality to add business value, reduce human error and free-up administration resources. This flexible portal platform gives data center workload automation managers the ability to free up administration cycles that support high-touch business end users. This solution also gives manages the ability to segregate and simplify job management tasks within the data center itself, lowering the TCO of the administration and management of the entire business processing environment.
The challenges of managing Big Data environments will only get bigger, and to get the most value out of big data, companies need to integrate solutions such as Hadoop with existing data processing environments. And that is exactly what Cisco Tidal Enterprise Scheduler enables because it is a dynamic, intelligent, efficient solution for integrating big data “science projects” into an existing data center infrastructure, and to automate the myriad of dependent processes involved to support advanced data integration analytics and report delivery.
The scheduler is provides adapters to leading enterprise applications and data bases such as SAP, Oracle, Informatica, MS SQL, JDEdwards, Peoplesoft, and others. It also it offers capacity awareness to prevent bottlenecks, automated resource control, and complete visibility across the entire business processing environment.Tags: