Cisco customer Chinese University of Hong Kong selected as finalist for the SNW Best Practices Award
Congratulations to Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) which met the stringent criteria defined by Computerworld, the Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA), and SNW, we are proud of our customer’s achievement.
About the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
CUHK transformed its IT infrastructure with Cisco Data Center Business Advantage Architecture. With more than 14,300 post-graduate and undergraduate students from Hong Kong and 1,300 students from overseas and mainland China, CHUK also has more than 1,400 faculty staff and 5,100 administrative staff supported by its IT department, the Information Technology Services Centre (ITSC).
The entire campus is connected to the University Campus Backbone Network via high-speed Gigabit Ethernet links, and connections within the campus network are via high speed 10 Gigabit or Gigabit Ethernet links. Students have 24/7 access to computers in the ITSC, and some faculties and departments also provide students with their own personal computers.
CH Cheng, associate director of ITSC and head of the Infrastructure Division explains, “Our users have high expectations of the data center infrastructure. They want faster and more flexible provisioning as well as lower cost.”
By reshaping the people and processes of IT and shifting resources to allow for cross-skills training of the IT team, the ITSC is unlocking the tremendous potential of virtual computing by releasing staff to work on higher value projects for enhanced service to its stakeholders while also providing ongoing career progression opportunities. Other benefits to the University include:
- Reduced energy consumption and cooling costs
- IT services charged on a monthly basis, easier to allocate budget
- Increased levels of operational efficiency
- Less cabling and physical space required
- Provisioning of applications and services takes minutes, rather than days or even weeks
- Dynamic allocation of computing resources in response to users’ needs
Interview with CH Cheng, associate director of ITSC and head of the Infrastructure Division.
WilI your IT staff be the next big winner? We’re here to work with you on your next IT transformation to a simpler, more efficient and agile data center. To learn more, please visit:
- Cisco Data Center Business Advantage: www.cisco.com/go/dcba
- Cisco Unified Fabric: www.cisco.com/go/unifiedfabric
- Cisco Storage Networking: www.cisco.com/go/storage
Sr. Marketing Manager
Cisco Data Center/Virtualization Marketing