Over the last few months, the big trend in Cloud Computing has been a dramatic shift from “talking” to “building”. Companies in every industry are taking the next steps to deploy their strategies to deliver more efficient IT services for their business, with the goal of delivering the services in the best possible manner regardless of the source (Private Cloud, Public Cloud service, Hybrid capabilities).
But companies looking to deploy Cloud Computing or expand their existing footprint face several challenges:
- How to deal with on-going support for legacy applications (such as this or this) while beginning to deploy new virtualized or cloud-based applications?
- How to ensure consistent levels of Security, Auditing, Compliance, and Quality of Service across the range of applications (old and new)?
- How to build out Cloud Computing infrastructure in a way that is consistent and able to easily grow as demand grows?
- How to deal with potential migration from one source of services (internal or external) to another without having to completely re-architecture the underlying infrastructure?
- How to deal with concerns about stability of external Cloud Computing services that are outside of their control?
While there are some customers that have the luxury of “greenfield” environments, this number is typically in the minority. So designing a network infrastructure that allows transitions and migrations, without creating new silos or using a “rip-and-replace” strategy is critical to their success. For customers building or transitioning their infrastructure, the ability to leverage Nexus OS (NX-OS) from Virtual Switch to Access Switch to Core to Storage Access is a critical aspect in their success. They can improve application responsiveness today and have the flexibility and control over new applications that emerge within their Data Center or across public Cloud Computing environments. And with the growth of Service Providers adopting similar architectures, utilizing modular “network containers”, the ability for Enterprise/Government/Commercial customers to leverage migration services will be simplified over time.
We will be talking about this in more depth at Cisco Live (#cldc11) in Las Vegas in a few weeks, as well as in a series of in-depth webinars following the show (details & registration links coming soon).