NHL 2009 – 2010: Best season ever!
That statement isn’t intended only for the Blackhawks and their fans who celebrated their first Stanley Cup win since John F. Kennedy was president. Indeed, the NHL recognizes the 2009 – 2010 season as the best ever on the business side.
The NHL boasts highly engaged fans, who are younger, more affluent and more tech-savvy than fans of the other major sports leagues. Effective use of digital media and new technologies accelerated league growth across the 2009-2010 season by delivering content in real time across multiple platforms.
After a hot Stanley Cup playoff series, BizWiseTV wanted to know what was contributing to the success of the NHL and growth of its fan base. We had the pleasure of sitting down with NHL, COO, John Collins at the 2010 Entry draft. John shared his perspective on how technology helps the NHL grow its global brand.
Consider just a few, not all of the record breaking highlights the NHL recognized in the 2009 – 2010 season:
- 20 percent, year over year, represents the increase in corporate sponsorship revenue.
- Viewership for NBC’s game of the week telecasts were up 13 percent.
- Ratings for exclusive telecasts on Versus were up 29 percent.
- Sales at SHOP.NHL.com increased 12 percent over last season’s record figures.
- NHL teams played to nearly 93 percent of arena capacity, marking the League’s third-highest regular season attendance figure ever.
- Unique visitors to NHL.com surpassed last year’s record by 32 percent.
- NHL.com attracted a single-day record 1.6 million unique visitors on Sunday, April 11 – besting last season’s regular season final day by 54 percent.
- NHL Game Center LiveTM subscriptions were up 25
- NHL MobileTM reached 1.6 million page views, an increase of 233 percent over last season.
All of us at BizWiseTV are wishing the NHL a HUGE 2010 – 2011 season. Hockey is back!Tags: