Wireless in the Great Outdoors
Our brand new Outdoor Wireless show just launched today – you can register and watch it here.. but these are the shownotes for your reference..and they make more sense if you watch the show!
Seamless, Scalable, Capable, Unique applications
Mobility is about more than just wireless of course…but even among our wireless coverage, we need to get outside. Outdoor wireless comes with its own unique set of challenges…they fall into a lot of the same categories of course: Interference, Propagation, Noise, to name a few but in general:
Everything becomes magnified outdoors.
Each category can be sliced up in a few areas – rugged design, unique combinations of physical and network security.
So, a focus on education is in order as are some new toys to play with – most notably the Aironet 1550 Series OUTDOOR Access Point.
Sylvia kicks us off talking to Ray Smets
Ray’s a great guy…but the star of the show was that Aironet 1550 right in front of him.
Aironet 1550 at a glance (pdf)
– CleanAir technology so that users can experience high-quality, mobile broadband inside a building or walking across a campus
– Seamless mobility across wired and wireless networks
– Scalable and reliable multi-device and multi-network application delivery such as video surveillance, real-time data, and public and private Wi-Fi access.
Covers several applications – some examples
– Supports mobile operators to address mobile network congestion using Wi-Fi for data offload
– Public safety – access to personnel and vehicles, providing backhaul for video surveillance cameras
– Industrial environments – reliable operation in extreme conditions and to accommodate backhaul traffic for pressure, thermal, and fault monitoring sensors
– Campus networks – seamless connections between buildings
Special thanks to our Special Geek Guest: Navdeep Johar!
Feedback Loop: “Whats the real deal with Switched Lobe Antenna’s?”
– Great basics on this subject and some others here: SMART Antennas
Check out Jimmy Ray’s Master Class on Antennae Engineering: (make sure you are subscribed on our YouTube Channel!)
Check out more on the Smith Chart
Thanks for watching!
Update 6/2/2011 – check out the entire show here:Tags: