Welcome to the shownotes for TechWiseTV 78: Borderless Networks: Optimizing Application Velocity. Have you seen the show yet? It is live starting 10 AM PST November 11. All the talk about ‘cloud’ and ‘virtual this and that…’ from your servers to your desktops…its the renaissance we have all been told about before it seems. What is the most important ‘make or break’ reality ALL of us have to live with? Three Areas: (1) User Experience, (2) Resource Utilization, (3) Application Reliability.
Here is a cheesy preview:
Getting specific, there are FOUR Places where this is most pronounced –
1. OPTIMIZATION- where is it these days?
– Routing decisions are being made on outdated tables that don’t reflect ‘up to the second’ health information needed by YOUR applications.
– Shortest path may be a broken path
2. VISIBILITY - Application visibility is either non-existent or requires an external appliance so as to minimize impact to network performance. Lack of visibility and its highly correlated sibling…
3. CONTROL, may let the wrong applications go through while degrading the most important applications.
4. ACCELERATION - the need for application acceleration and WAN optimization is key to performance success – but its not getting applied either at all or correctly without these factors above being taken into account.
“Application Velocity” is our focus.
With AppVelocity, the realtime optimal path is selected based on a unique technology called PfR that tests what is the fastest path.
In addition, scalable application visibility and control is embedded in the network routers with enhancements to NBAR that enable recognition and classification of hundreds of applications and their prioritization.
Further monitoring and control can be applied by technologies such as flexible netflow and advanced QoS and finally the embedded WAN optimization with WAAS express yields significant bandwidth savings. Then if customers want to scale application acceleration they have the choice to either use integrated app acceleration with WAAS SRE or as a standalone appliance.
All together this yields a superior user experience with up to 99% improved response time and a 90% cost saving in bandwidth.
Five Meaty Segments:
1. Flexible NetFlow
3. WAAS Express
4. ASA 5585X
5. LMS 4.0
SEGMENT 1 – Application Velocity
Sylvia Hooks and Prashanth Shenoy
SEGMENT 2 – Flexible Netflow
Jimmy Ray and Robb Boyd
For more information on NetFlow go to: http://www.cisco.com/go/fnf
Network World Article – Why NetFlow Adoption is on the Rise
For a primer in the basics of NetFlow: “Introduction to NetFlow-A Technical Overview”
SEGMENT 3 – ASR 1000 Series
Sylvia Hooks and Prashanth Shenoy
Two new hardware additions to the family with the ASR 1001 and 1013.
Cisco ASR 1001 Router
The Cisco ASR 1001 router is a new small footprint edge routing solution (1RU) that delivers up to 5-Gbps performance throughput with services turned on, enabling deployment agility in high-end enterprise branch, WAN edge, and managed services environments.
The Cisco ASR 1001 Router introduces the concept of integrated daughter cards (IDCs). Three versions of the Cisco ASR 1001 Router are available:
- ASR1001: no IDC
- ASR1001-2XOC3POS: with an IDC that provides 2 OC-3 Packet-over-SONET/SDH (PoS) ports
- ASR1001—4XT3: with an IDC that provides 4 T3 ports
Cisco ASR 1013 Router
- Twice the bandwidth and capacity of earlier Cisco ASR 1000 Series models
- A modular and highly services-integrated routing platform
- A highly scalable and cost-effective solution for the centralized 40-Gbps routing space
- Provides a platform for cloud computing to conserve resources and help ensure optimal performance
- Extends high availability to the edge by helping to enable in-service software upgrades
- Delivers instant-on service (activating important services) requires only a software license)
- Enhances operating efficiencies (compact form factor reduces power consumption, space, and sparing requirements)
- Overall Product URL: http://www.cisco.com/go/asr1000
- ASR 1001: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10878/index.html
- ASR 1013: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10883/index.html
SEGMENT 4: CiscoWorks LMS 4.0
Jimmy Ray and Tejas Shah
LMS 4.0 could easily be raised up as one of the most important, groundbreaking enhancements in CiscoWorks history. The perfect intersection of multi-technology, borderless enhancements are just icing on the cake with a complete re-build that takes every complaint customers may have lodged in the past and addresses it.
Now more than ever – why the device managers or the ‘free’ element managers can still be valuable but now make more complimentary sense to your management workflow –
- – Support for over 560 platforms
- - Day 1 Device Support for each new Cisco product
- - Open, extensible framework that allows third-party support to continue and grow
- - User Interface – easier now with a focus on Real Time, Actionable information – the dashboard you have been seeking.
- o Mouse Over (tons of info at a glance)
- o Troubleshooting Dashboard
(No more multi-component drill down – remember having to go to Campus Manager, Branch Manager then Device Configuration Manager….now – Single Pane of Glass)
- – Re-Organized by Function – easy to find advanced features logically categorized under Configure, Monitor, Report, and Inventory
- Easier Set up – optimized and assisted set up that has literally improved start-up speed by four times.
- Role based access with two looks – read only/write only
- Automated Health and Performance Monitoring
- Downloadable Config templates based on Cisco Validated Design Guides (CVD) and best practice templates from Cisco TAC
- Work Centers – TrustSec, EnergyWise, Auto-Smart Ports and Smart Install
- Scan to see what is needed on your network to support advanced functionality
LMS Portal: http://www.cisco.com/go/lms
LMS Evaluation: http://www.cisco.com/go/nmsevals
YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/ciscoworkslms
More Webinars: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le31/le46/nmtg_training/LMS_4.0_Webinar_Series_External_Schedule.htm
Advance Services: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6897/serv_group_home.html
SEGMENT 5: ASA 5585-X
Jimmy Ray with Per Hagen
The brand new ASA 5585 delivers what security admins have been begging for; more connections! How much more? How about up to 350K connections per second screaming across a 60GB backplane with 20GBps multiprotocol thoughput in a 2U form factor! All of that only using very green 320 Watts on the firewall module. But wait! There is more – we also added crypto chip load balancing to balance tunnels and much more.
- - 2 slot chassis
- - 4 different SSP options
- o SSP-60 – 35 Gbps, 350,000 connections per second
- - VPN = 10,000 users, IPSEC or SSL VPN with 5 Ggbps
- 2 RU = less space, heat and cooling requirements = Green
The potential of this platform is that it works very similarly to a catalyst 6500. To increase performance you just swap out your supervisor module (in this case your SSP) and put in the new shiny faster one. Given the massive backplane of this thing you’ll be able to scale it for quite a while by just putting in new SSP modules as Cisco releases them. Another bonus is that the ASA 5585X is a 64bit architecture. Today the ASA code is just 32bit but when Cisco converts it to 64bit I’d expect you to see a free performance boost above the numbers that Cisco released today. If you have any other questions on the ASA 5585X just post them below.
Jon Oltsik at Network World: “Cisco Bolts into High End Network Security ‘AGAIN’”
Still want more?
Check out the logging data you can play with here – Cisco ASA 5580 Implementation Note for NetFlow Collectors
SEGMENT 6: WAAS Express
Jimmy Ray with Anurag Gurtu
We have extended the already awesome Cisco WAAS product line by adding Cisco WAAS Express. This is an IOS based software solution that is integrated into the ISR G2 to optimize bandwidth and accelerate application capabilities on your network. WAAS Express interoperates with your current WAAS infrastructure and can be easily managed from the WAAS Central Manager. This transparent solution actually leverages the capabilities of the powerful ISR G2 routers to even integrate tightly with security, QoS and tons of other native IOS services.
As a reminder…this was our 2nd of 2 shows covering the Borderless Launch….Dan Gill did a nice write up on his blog following the corporate version of the launch. Be sure and check out TechWiseTV 77 “The New Technologies” for the rest of our deep dive, part 1 if you will.
Cisco Redesigns its Voice and Security Certifications to Align with Evolving Job Roles and Business Requirements
Cisco is pleased to announce major revisions to its popular Voice certification track and professional level Security certification to align with evolving job roles, technologies and business requirements:
- CCNP Voice, formerly CCVP, includes the new Integrating Cisco Unified Communications Applications (CAPPS) v 8.0 course and corresponding #642-467 CAPP exam. In addition, significant updates have been made to the four remaining courses and related exams. The changes reflect the convergence of data, voice and video on the network.
- CCNA® Voice certification includes the new Introducing Cisco Voice and Unified Communications Administration (ICOMM) version 8.0 course and corresponding #640-461 ICOMM exam. CCNA Voice validates associate-level knowledge and skills required to administer a voice network.
- CCNP Security, formerly CCSP, delivers the practical skills needed to enforce cybersecurity performance, gain high quality security service levels and meet compliance mandates. The program consists of a new four exam curriculum aligned to the specific job role of the network security engineer that is responsible for testing, deploying, configuring and troubleshooting the core technologies that make up network security.
For more information visit the Cisco Learning Network athttp://ciscolearningnetwork.com.
If you are the digitally social type and looking for a few ways to keep up with us…please reference the following:
- Facebook Fan page: facebook.com/techwise. Ton’s of ‘behind the scenes pics/videos and conversations brewing…
- YouTube page or you can also subscribe to the podcast channel (opens iTunes).
- The official Twitter Account – twitter.com/ciscoCIN but you can also follow Robb and Jimmy Ray directly.
- Jimmy Ray’s Blog on Network World is a MUST READ “Networking Geek to Geek”