This was an action packed trip – I love how a final day is never quite as busy and everyone is so much more relaxed.
Three good stories worth covering, the first two on security!
BYOD Security with Bill McGee
Our second story in security is easily one of my favorites and not just because it involves a lot of friend from Austin. Cisco’s Security Intelligence Operations…
Security Intelligence Operations
More information: cisco.com/go/sio
Jamey Heary did a great write up in his Network World Blog back in 2009 but just this past September Ann Bednarz did a feature level deep dive called ‘Inside Cisco Global Security Operations’ which I would consider required reading. What makes this even better is Jeff Shipley’s follow up that takes us deeper on a few stories for how this article came together in his blog: The Inside on the Inside Cisco SIO Network World Article. He highlights the great point that I failed to make on camera: “Automated tools handle vast majority of security threats, but it’s the human element that makes the difference.”
We dove into a couple of different specifics around Cisco Prime and the incredible improvements made to Cisco’s ongoing success story in network management with this Interview being more of a good overview. You can see the all-important ‘six attributes’ reflected in every member of the family:
- Optimized Operations Experience
- Integrated Cisco Best Practices
- Complete Lifecycle Management
- Day One Device Support
- Smart Interactions (How to win friends and influence Cisco TAC….not the official subtitle…)
- Physical and Virtual Appliance
The Cisco Prime product portfolio delivers integrated management solutions that support the convergence of networks, technologies, and services. The product portfolio includes:
- Cisco Prime Infrastructure : Simplify the ordering, deployment, and lifecycle management of converged wired and wireless networks.
- Cisco Prime Network Control System (NCS): Deliver converged user and access management for wired and wireless networks to support endpoint and policy visibility, with complete wireless lifecycle management.
- Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution (LMS): Simplify Cisco Borderless Networks management and reduce costs with a management suite designed to work the way network operators do their jobs.
- Cisco Prime Assurance : Provide visibility across architectures to facilitate the effective collection, analysis, and troubleshooting of performance, application and end user wired and wireless sessions.
- Cisco Prime Assurance Manager: (AM): Aggregate real-time information across multiple networks to deliver application-aware network performance visibility and troubleshooting
- Cisco Prime Network Analysis Module (NAM): Gain application and performance visibility to optimize network resources, troubleshoot performance problems, and help ensure a consistent user experience.
- Cisco Prime Collaboration : Deliver integrated lifecycle management to support converged voice, video, and collaboration experience.
- Cisco Prime Collaboration Manager (CM): Monitor and troubleshoot telepresence sessions and media paths in real time, taking the guesswork out of video collaboration management.
- Cisco Prime Unified Communications Manager Suite (UCMS): Automate provisioning, proactively diagnose, and gain advanced statistics analysis and reporting through a single consolidated view of the Cisco Unified Communications environment. We covered this UCMS suite in our recent Spotlight on UCMS.
Well, as they say ‘That’s a wrap.’ They really do say that…thank you for all we got to chat and tip a few back with.
As a recap: the first couple of days were the busiest:
We covered four different topics on Network Management: Prime Assurance with Jim Frey of Enterprise Management Associates, the new NetFlow Generation Appliance 3140, BYOD and Cisco Prime and of course an overview of the Prime Family and what it represents. Other great topics included the Nexus 1000v and Virtual Services, UPOE and Energywise, Cloud Readiness with Citrix-ready WAAS and how Cisco routing infrastructure technologies like Application Visibility and Control and UCS Express for application hosting. This all based on the cloud survey results which Prashanth shared with us. These are all summarized within the day 1 and day 2 blog entries with more details.
See you guys in San Diego!