In this special edition of Partner Update, we bring you the top partner news from Cisco’s annual partner marketing conference Partner Velocity 2012, in Las Vegas.
During the three-day event, partners learned how to make marketing innovation happen from marketing experts, attended workshops, and even got some one-on-one time with Cisco executives. Oh yeah, there was even a little bit of time for some Las Vegas fun and entertainment.
Watch this video to catch up on all of the news from the first two days of Partner Velocity 2012.
Check back next week for full interviews with all of the speakers mentioned in this video and we’ll be adding speaker interviews to the Partner Velocity 2012 playlist on YouTube.
Keep reading to get key links—and a full transcript and links to everything we covered in Partner Update.
Kicking Things off in Style and Extreme Trust
Amanda Jobbins and Keith Goodwin arrived in style and drove up in a Tesla to kick off Partner Velocity 2012.
Then, we heard from Dr. Martha Rogers, who gave a thought-provoking presentation about the power of remembering customers and gaining their trust. She talked about innovative services that can build customer loyalty and the secret requirements for fostering extreme trust.
As one of the keys to gaining trust, she reminded attendees to, “Do things right and do the right thing, proactively.”
Order Dr. Martha Rogers’ latest book, Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage.
Women in Channels
I got the opportunity to listen in during the Women in Channels Luncheon, where we heard about different challenges women in the industry face and how to cultivate a personal brand. Here are some of our favorite quotes.
- “The social networking revolution is a technology-fueled express train. The only decision you can make is whether to board the train or lie down on the tracks.” –Dr. Martha Rogers, founding partner of Peppers & Rogers Group
- “No is not personal.” –Mary Campbell, VP of Marketing at D&H Distribution
- “What people think of you is none of your business.” –Chari Rhoades, VP of Marketing & Communications at NWN Corporation
- “Negotiation doesn’t start until someone says no.” –Wendy Bahr, SVP of Global and Strategic Partners for Worldwide Partner Organization at Cisco
- “Taking other people seriously is the key to being taken seriously yourself.” –Amanda Jobbins, VP of Global Partner Marketing at Cisco
The New Normal
Peter Hinssen kicked off day two of Partner Velocity and taught us about “the new normal.” We grabbed him for a quick interview to find out what the new normal (as opposed to the old normal) is.
Get more information about this topic from Peter’s book, The New Normal.
How to Fascinate in Nine Seconds or Less
Did you know that the average person has only a nine-second attention span? Sally Hogshead spoke about fascination and talked about attendees’ Fascinate test scores. If you haven’t taken her Fascinate test, it’s based on her marketing research and assesses your personality and how you fit into one of the seven fascination triggers.
Learn more about the Fascinate test and download your elevator pitch now at sallyhogshead.com/cisco. (The elevator pitch will be available for the next week only.)
The Surprising Truth about Motivation
What motivates us? Best-selling author Daniel Pink took the stage later on day two to talk about the surprising truth about motivation, marketing, and how to get the best out of your employees. Forget the carrot-and-stick approach, Daniel explores the three elements of true motivation.
Get Daniel’s latest book, Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us.
Tweet of the Week
We got so many great tweets, we couldn’t just pick one. Here are some of our personal favorites.
- @Force3: Amanda jobbins at Cisco featured our web video at @PartnerVelocity #velocityLV this morning! Thanks for the shout out! http://t.co/v3hHBbZm
- @PaoloCDN: Peter Hinssen just gave one of the best keynotes that I have ever heard or witnessed. Thank you.
- @KellyMTeal: Partners, your biggest mktng challenges? Convincing execs of value of social media seems to be a big one.
Check out the Replays
We’ll have all of the interviews we filmed at Partner Velocity on our YouTube channel.
But Wait, There’s More!
We had a great line up on day three. Author and social media expert Chris Brogan talked about cultivating visibility and earning leverage. Then Jeffrey Hayzlett (former CMO of Kodak and author of Running the Gauntlet) who is known as the Chuck Norris of marketing ended the event with an entertaining and energetic keynote about adapting, making change happen, and taking risks.
Be sure to look for the full recap and interviews with partners during our next Partner Update.
Until then, you stay classy partners!