Over the past several years, the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) — which projects IP traffic trends based upon independent analyst forecasts, usage surveys from operators and other primary research — has become a valuable resource for many. Some have called it an industry standard.
Today, Cisco announced the latest update to the VNI, as well as a new, complementary study―the Cisco VNI Service Adoption Forecast -- which includes projections for residential, consumer mobile, and business services growth rates from 2011 -- 2016. Here are just a few of the top-level findings:
- The total number of fixed and mobile devices and connections on global networks will grow from 10.3 billion in 2011 to 18.9 billion by 2016 – nearly doubling in only 5 years.
Global IP Traffic
- Global IP traffic will nearly quadruple from 2011 to 2016.
- By 2016, the sum of all forms of video will exceed 86% of global consumer traffic.
Global Service Adoption
- The fastest-growing service across all residential service categories (TV & Internet) from 2011 to 2016 will be digital TV
- Mobile video will be the fastest-growing consumer mobile service from 2011 to 2016.
- Desktop video conferencing will be the fastest-growing service across all business service categories (mobile and fixed) from 2011 to 2016.
You can view a 24-minute VNI Highlights video, which features Cisco senior analysts discussing key takeaways from this year’s research.
For various resources associated with the updated VNI Global IP Traffic Forecast, please visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/vni.
For various resources associated with the new VNI Global Service Adoption Forecast, please visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/vnisa.
Here are additional links that should be helpful:
Cisco VNI: Forecast and Methodology, 2011-2016 (White Paper)
The Zettabyte Era (White Paper)
Cisco VNI Forecast Q&A: May 2012
Cisco VNI Service Adoption Forecast, 2011-2016 (White Paper)
Cisco VNI Service Adoption Forecast Q&A
Infographics: View the Cisco VNI Service Adoption Forecast Infographic to see interesting visual representations of global services adoption, and devices and connections data.
Cisco VNI Service Adoption Forecast Highlights Tool: This provides primary global and regional takeaways on users and subscribers, devices and connections, and service adoption trends and penetration rates.
Graphing Tool: The Cisco VNI Service Adoption Forecast Graphing Tool enables one to create visualizations of service adoption forecast data to export for articles and reports.
Case Studies: Explore Cisco VNI Service Adoption Forecast case studies for examples of how global and regional service providers are delivering innovative services to residential, consumer mobile and business users.
Services Gauge: The Cisco VNI Services Gauge estimates the minimum bandwidth required to deliver these advanced services optimally.
NEW: Cisco Data Meter application for Android. This free application (beta version 1.0) for Android smartphones provides users with valuable network-related data:
- Estimated and projected bandwidth consumption
- Individual app usage
- Wi-Fi and cell connection speed tests
- The location of nearby Wi-Fi networks
If you have further questions after viewing the relevant information, don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.